Healthy, Fast, and Easy Vegetarian Golden Beet Sandwich
When I went back to visit Santa Barbara for a quick one-night-trip, I ate at a quaint restaurant in The Funk Zone called The Lucky Penny. I ordered a beet sandwich and could not believe how incredible the combination of ingredients was. When I got back home, the first items I bought at the grocery store were for recreating this sandwich. I made it and it was just as good as the restaurant sandwich! It is also SO easy.
I've had it every day this week as a quick after-work meal with a few additional ingredients that I picked up at the farmer's market.
•1-2 TBSP Olive Oil
• sourdough bread
•1-2 Golden Beets washed and peeled (regular beets are fine)
•1 TBSP Trader Joe's Vegan Kale Pesto (regular pesto is fine)
•Handful of Arugula
•Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Start with 2 slices of bread (I use sourdough) and brush with olive oil on both sides. You can also use melted butter or margarine.
2. Cut up or crumble goat cheese onto one side of bread and put both slices in the toaster oven on "toast" setting.
3. While the bread is toasting, sauté 4-5 slices of peeled and sliced golden beets in 1 TBSP of olive oil for a few minutes until a bit softer- flipping occasionally.
4. Take bread out of the toaster when it is toasted to your liking and spread pesto (I used Vegan Kale Pesto from Trader Joe's) onto the side without goat cheese.
5. Top the pesto with the beets after they are finished cooking.
6. After I take the beets out of the pan, I use the same pan and same oil to fry an egg!
This one is from a local farm near me that has a top rating for the chickens' quality of life. See how well you eggs score: HERE. Mine are the 2nd ones on the list- Eben-Haezer's Happy Hens :)
7. Top with lots of arugula (or whichever greens you prefer- arugula tastes best), drizzle a TSP of olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
ALL DONE! Enjoy :)
PIN IT FOR LATER!